[Tango-L] leading w/fingers on back

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Thu May 4 19:16:06 EDT 2006

Hi Jay,

Sean here. Long time no see! That sure sounds like
Trenner. He taught me one of the most important things
I ever learned about social tango. That is, if you
can’t lead something very well, don’t lead it at a
milonga. Perfect it at the practica first.

More importantly, he was the first person to start
teaching me how to dance. Before Trenner I was what
Andrea would probably call a UPS-er. A FedEx-er might
be a better description: like a UPS-er, but way
faster.

Sergio complained that some of his students are angry
because he taught them the "wrong style". They should
be grateful to have found a teacher like him. Imagine
how pissed off I was after finding out that I had
taken 4 years of tango classes without anyone ever
trying to teach me how to dance. It took me a few
years to get over it. Not until I was able to watch
them dance at a milonga did I realize that they were
not trying to cheat me or keep me an ignorant student
forever. They had taught me to do tango exactly the
same way they did it.

Now, when someone asks me how long I have been doing
tango I say "10 years". If they ask me how long I have
been dancing tango, I say "6 years".

Sean

--- Jay Rabe <jayrabe at hotmail.com> wrote:

Another gem (IMO) from Daniel Trenner's workshop
here in Portland:

Some leaders use their torso/chest. Some do it well,
others do it poorly. Some leaders use their
hands/arms/fingers. Some do it well, some do it
poorly. A woman will appreciate and enjoy a well-done
hand/arm lead over a poorly done torso/chest lead.

www.TangoMoments.com