[Tango-L] The leads left arm--elboe down

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Wed May 3 12:03:28 EDT 2006

> I have a constant fight with my left arm.  I just want it
> to stay put and it either creeps up at the shoulder or
> starts thrusting my partner into a back ocho.

Burleigh
Burleigh:
I sometimes have the same problem. I extend my left hand
horizontally palm up so that the woman puts her right hand
out horizontally and her palm on top of mine. This ensures
our elbows are down so there isn't any pushing.

I "invented" a practice method to make my left arm part of
my frame so that it moved when my shoulders moved. I put a
broomstick behind my head on my shoulders and put my arms
around the broom. Now, when I rotated my shoulders, my arms
moved with the shoulders.

The problem sometimes returns when I'm trying intricate
figures (back sacada) so it's not permanently solved.

Hope this helps.

Michael Ditkoff
Washington, DC