[Tango-L] I think that the nebula has lifted

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Wed May 3 02:29:17 EDT 2006

Sean here. Sergio's observations make a lot of sense.
Trini and I experienced similar opposition from the
other side when we first introduced close embrace
dancing to Pittsburgh's entrenched open embrace
community. We were violently opposed, and we fought
back with the same tired authenticity canard. (A tip
of the fedora to Tom for the cool phraseology.) To
make a long story short, we now start our students in
a rhythmic milonguero style (Miller-onguero?), and
then introduce them to salon open and close. The other
group starts their students in open, and then
introduces close. Both groups are exploring nuevo.
Several other groups have formed and offer classes or
host practicas. 'Most everyone goes to the milongas,
where milonguero, salon and budding nuevo dancers all
share the ronda, and mostly respect each other. The
local clown (yes, there is one everywhere) "lo mande
de florero". He has been trained to do his silly
tricks in the center of the floor, out of the way of
dancers.

Happy dancing,

Sean

--- Sergio Vandekier <sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com>
wrote:

When you exert an unjust tyranny, sooner or later
there is going to be a reaction that will oppose it,
frequently  not with moderation but like a pendulum
will shift in the opposite direction; to the other extreme.