[Tango-L] private

Igor Polk ipolk at VIRTUAR.COM
Tue May 2 18:43:01 EDT 2006

Michael,

"we're discussing the term "social tango" as it relates to dance styles."

I have noticed that, and that what triggered my message.
I believe absolutely any style can be danced as a "social tango". Mixing the
styles, that what makes them not convenient, but that was already discussed
here recently.

And I want to defend what people see as a show tango figures. All the same
figures can be danced on stage, for personal pleasure, and in social
environment. There are people who can bring their legs up and experience a
great personal pleasure of doing it, and they do not hinder anybody around
them in any way, since they are aware of the situation. (Again, it was
discussed recently: "A greatest obstacle on the dance floor is a beginner")

There is bad tango and good tango. And this is not the same as show,
personal, and social tango.

To be polite is not a goal of any dancing. It is the requirement. A couple
can be impolite even dancing a solo show tango number on stage. I am afraid
what you mean is the "talent bashing". "If they can do all this flashy staff
and I don't, they dance impolitely!". Yes. To you, if you take it
personally. And they might be going against the community spirit as well. It
is not the same what I am talking about.

"Flashy staff" does not mean "Flying legs" only. It is everything unusual.
Many do not like the unusual.

Here: "Someone dance show tango, but in fact it is a Personal one", I mean
that when poor show dancers dance, in reality they dance for their own
pleasure. And they fail to make impact on the audience, which just applauds
them politely because they are friends or something. And all that is not
bad. It is social.