[Tango-L] [TANGO-L] Desperate to learn, no teachers here. Please help -

Igor Polk ipolk at VIRTUAR.COM
Tue May 2 15:24:21 EDT 2006

It is sad, Barbara, but I do not know any good tape for beginning leaders.
( and I agree 100% with Astrid that Florencia Taccetti's video and Elina
Roldan are the best for followers up-to-date )

Sorry, Maestros!

The tape which is really progressed me forward in close embrace was Tete
tape from Bridge to the
Tango. Of course it does not have any good theory: only dance examples are
useful.

Thinking about which, ( surprise !) I would say that there is a lot of very
important material on Daniel Trenner's tapes which I was not able to find
anywhere else. At least he is the one which intelligently is talking about
many important issues you've mentioned looking at them with our eyes. Though
these tapes are very far from the imaginable best ( and expensive ).

I like Orlando Paiva's tape very much ( I guess it is yours ! ). It has an
excellent collection of figures teaching from simple to complex.
Unintrusively, it teaches many important aspects of tango: just learn
figures one by one. But I started appreciate it only now when I essentially
know what it is all about. He does not give much explanations. I remember it
was very boring to watch when I did not know that. And as always his
performance looks simple, but it is a top of the art - too difficult for
beginners to repeat and recognize underlying basis of what he is doing
without pointing to details. ( Well, that what a teacher in the class should
do, isn't it? A Maestro on the tape is not able to give personal attendance
in the limited 2 hours. I am sure that each of his figures can be discussed
for hours. He with his partner are just perfect in everything! )

I haven't seen Cristy's DVDs also as well as many new videos. So I am very
interested what others say about it too. So, what is the really good
beginner video tape for leaders?

Igor.