[Tango-L] Social tango definition

Kace kace at pacific.net.sg
Mon May 1 23:06:47 EDT 2006

As a tango instructor (not self-appointed) we are frequently asked to
explain to our classes the difference between social and show tango.
This is my definition:

- Social tango is like fishes swimming in a stream -- you need to have
a clear sense of direction and not lose your companion in a herd.
Dancing close is not mandatory, but it is the most energy-efficient and
relaxing way to dance in a crowded space. We teach them both open
and close, but most end up preferring close-embrace.

- Show tango is like fishes swimming in a static pond. Nothing stops
you from expending your energy in convoluted figures in all combination
of possibilities, but the price is a weakened or broken connection with
your partner. Frequently these extra movements serve no communication
purpose except to look aesthetically exciting to an audience.

In my class we define the open embrace as providing an extra degrees
of freedom of movement -- a completely loose arm is 2 degree while a
firm arm open embrace is 1 degree. A liquid hold that moves between
open and close adds and subtracts degree, whereas a static hold that
stays in one position remains in the same degree of freedom.

It is academically interesting to study the possibilities of extra degrees
of freedom, and I recommend choreographers, instructors and
academics to explore this to push the envelope of tango. The style
of embrace have meanings in choreography terms, to represent
love, confrontation, power, and control.

But if the freedom to open the embrace is taken too far, you may
even end up using only one hand or releasing the hold completely -- as
Andres does in some of his figures -- and you have to question if it is
still "tango" without the embrace. In that case, why not have solo
"shines" like salsa dancers?

For social dancers wishing to stay in a tango trance, close embrace
is most enjoyable. But this is not a dogma.

The bottom line: a learner should understand the concepts of extra
degrees of freedom using looser embrace --- but if he is a good enough
social dancer, he probably do not need it on the dance floor.

Kace
tangosingapore.com