[Tango-L] Milonga Codes

Rick Jones rwjones52 at yahoo.com
Mon May 1 21:04:12 EDT 2006

During a recent three-week trip to Buenos Aires, I was very surprised at the number of people wearing blue jeans (and even sneakers) at evening milongas.  It certainly cut into any feeling of elegance that the ladies created with their wonderful evening dress and that some of the guys did with their equally elegant attire.

I would imagine that the responsibility for this trend lies squarely with the organizers.  I would find it hard to believe that they can't set some sort of dress code for their milongas.  Simple: no blue jeans, no sneakers, no whatever.

If the organizers are letting this type of dress in, then there's no real incentive for anyone to dress differently.

Rick Jones
Washington DC

Janis Kenyon <jantango at feedback.net.ar> wrote: I am a regular viewer of Codigos de Milongas, a new program on Solo Tango which follows young men at home to the milonga with a commentary by men who have danced tango for many years.

Carlos Matera (organizer of Sunderland) was speechless when he saw Damian wearing jeans to a milonga...Program #4 showed Gaspar (20) wearing a t-shirt, pants, and sneakers...Program #5 has Hernan (24) calling Gricel for a reservation on a Friday night.  He wears a t-shirt and sneakers...