Re: [Tango-L] 2¢ worth from a beginner

Ed Doyle doyleed at gmail.com
Mon May 1 11:39:14 EDT 2006

Hi Robert,

I too am a beginner (about one year of tango experience) and I too am
addicted to it.

You make a lot of good points in your post.  I will address a few that
struck a chord with me because I have just been or am there too.

I too was hesitant about going to milongas, and just wanted to take
lessons.  When I finally did go to a milonga, it was a disaster - I
had no skill to get around the floor and felt I was always in the way
of other leaders. But I have learned, you MUST take lessons, go to
practicas, and go to milongas. Each play an important part in learning
tango.  Go to the milongas and try to dance as much as you can.  It
will be hard at first as most experienced followers do not want to
dance with beginners.  This is sad, as we need them in order for us to
get better.  I have found if when you approach an experienced
follower, if you tell them you admire their dancing, you are a
beginner, and would they just do one dance with you - not a whole
tanda, often they will commit to one dance.  For a while, you may have
to be satisfied with just dancing one dance out of a tanda.  Also,
look around for ladies that are sitting and watching, particularly
older ladies.  While you make think it would be neat to dance with the
young sexy girls, if you really want to learn tango, I find it is the
older ladies that know how to dance and want to dance and sometimes
will help a beginner.  You can dance with the young sexy girls later,
they will always be there.  Anyway - try to dance as often as you can.
 If there is any way you can find a practice partner to go to a
practica with you, try to just work on one or two things at a time.
Ask the lady if there is something she would like to practice.  Often
ladies have something they would like to practice or improve, but they
only get a chance now and then when someone leads them in it.  An
example is the molinnette in both directions (clockwise and
counterclockwise).  I have found a number of ladies that want to
practice this and will ask me to lead this so they can practice (be
careful not to overdo is and get them dizzy).

I too have experienced instructors that conflict with each other, some
that speak terrible English, some that are very impatient and seem to
make fun of me, and some that are wonderful, caring, and very helpful.
 My advice, is take as many lessons as you can from as many
instructors as you can.  Try to take the best and leave the rest. i.e.
do what works for you, but try it all.

Don't let tango-l frustrate you. There are many strong opinions voiced
here, most based on different personal experiences and different
cultures, backgrounds, geographic locations, purists, and some who
just like talk (write).  Again, this dance is your dance - dance it
the way it works for you - be that close embrace, open embrace,
elastic embrace. The most important thing is that you, your partner,
the music, the floor, the other dancers all connect.  If you are
lucky, you will have a beautiful tango moment, or moments, which is
what keeps all of us coming back for more and more and more.

So Robert, keep at it.  Dance as much as you can, listen to the music
as much as you can, work on your posture, read and learn, but don't
stress out over it.  Above all, dance from your heart. Feel it, and
don't try to emulate anyone else.  Do what works for you.

Best of Luck

Ed