[Tango-L] Who v. What

TangoDC.com spatz at tangoDC.com
Fri Jun 30 17:07:44 EDT 2006

Hi Manuel,

I'm not willing to discount someone's opinion here on the grounds that
they're not a great or even good dancer. It's the argument that I attend
to, not the person who puts it forward.

This is a recurring problem in the arts and in philosophy, but one that
has been answered consistently by pointing out that discourse about a
topic (e.g., criticism, theory, reviews) does not have to be backed up
by real-life ability. If this were so, we'd expect our movie reviewers
to be capable of making movies. I don't believe they need to be, in
order to say something valuable about the movies that are made. (Not
that all of them do that...)

But this is to defend the audience. To defend the creator, we might
consider Schopenhauer's response to the criticism of his philosophy,
when someone said he was being a hypocrite because he didn't live by the
ethics he wrote of. He remarked that he didn't have to: Neither do we
expect the painter of a beautiful picture to be, himself, beautiful.
(The criticism, he implied, was not of his philosophy at all, but of his
person.)

That's my stance on the postings here, anyway. I'll consider any
argument on its merits. A beginner might dream of something that I can
use; or I might dream of something a more advanced dancer than myself
might use. What others say here I can test against my own experience, or
re-test with experiment. Anyone else possessed of a questing spirit will
probably do likewise.

Best to all,

Jake Spatz
DC