[Tango-L] Leading with hands... and even legs

Chris, UK tl2 at chrisjj.com
Tue Jun 27 10:23:00 EDT 2006

Alexis wrote:

> There's also some semantic confusion.

It's confusing to suggest there's confusion! Michael's opener asks
specifically about the "leading with hands" a teacher[1] described thus:

 Then you place your hand on her back and explain to the beginner
 tango dancers that the right part of her back controls her Rt. leg and
 that the Lt. part of her body controls her Lt. one. Then you proceed
 to how the correct lead of a front ocho. You touch the lady's rt. side
 of her back with the fingers of your right hand [...]

a la the TV remote. Alexis on the other hand describes:

> But it still is never the "hand" that moves independently,
> but *both* arms that change their position with respect to the
> leader's chest in a very precise way - your arms are still very
> much connected to the rest of your body.

Yes, that's very different. So different that surely people don't call
it "leading with hands" at all, let alone confuse it with the TV-remote
style Michael is asking about.

Chris

[1] That teacher being our not-so-departed "Sergio Vanderkier", no less.