[Tango-L] Tango Joven in Chicago this weekend / DJing workshop

Tine tine_elists at tangomuse.com
Mon Jun 26 14:55:23 EDT 2006

Hello everybody

I want to ask if any of you listeros I've corresponded with will be going to
Tango Joven festival in Chicago this weekend. I would like to meet you, so
please drop me a line! I don't know anybody in Chicago (other than the
festival guest artists of course), but I hope to make some new friends at
this festival.

I will be DJing the Saturday night Gran milonga as well as the closing
milonga on the last evening (Monday).
Also Monday there will be an afternoon of DJing workshops taught at the
festival by Homer Ladas, Korey Ireland and Burak Oskosem and myself (see the
program at www.tangojove.net). I am teaching an all-levels one entitled "DJ
resources and recipes", packed with useful information - the kind that I
know people need because they email me to ask. I plan to discuss basic
concepts like tanda building, collection building, collection management,
resources to get music and information, technology, and strategies to build
and energize a successful milonga. So, strategies for the practical matters,
so you can focus your attention on the artistic ones. Of course there is
more than one way to do all this! I get only 75 minutes though.

I am committed to community building and so I would particularly welcome
people who collect music but have yet to transition to playing their music
for dancers. There is a milonga somewhere that needs a good DJ!

If you are thinking about attending my workshop, please feel free to drop me
a line to introduce yourself. I will address questions on the spot but I
plan also to prepare some handouts beforehand, so it would be useful to know
if there is anything in particular you would like to see addressed.
Constructive replies only, thank you.

Thank you and have a nice day.
Tine
from Yale Tango Club