[Tango-L] Leading with the hands.

TangoDC.com spatz at tangoDC.com
Mon Jun 26 12:27:46 EDT 2006

I think there's a little confusion here, based on varying levels of
expertise.

First, it's important to learn how to lead properly-- i.e., through the
torso instead of the arms. Arm-leading is generally, for new dancers, bad.

However: after one has developed this skill sufficiently, one can then
reintegrate the arms a bit, to modify the shape of the embrace-- e.g.,
to allow for over-rotations Led by the torso. Ideally, this would be
introduced by a teacher, in a private lesson, so that the idea isn't
misunderstood.

I think the leader's right hand and arm (as well as the rear right
shoulder, where the follower may have contact) can likewise be developed
further as subtlety, nuance, and post-basic movements open up for the
dancers.

I speak here of open-embrace tango, but the same pattern applies to
everything.

So, I agree with those who slam the idea of hand-leading-- when it comes
to those just learning the dance, students in their first two years or
so (depending on their rate of progress). I've followed men who led me
with their fingers, and it was odd. But by the same token, it's
important to realize that movements considered "incorrect" at one stage
of learning can, at another, become quite valid. The "finger lead" got
me to move in the right direction, after all, odd or not.

This is precisely why tango teachers contradict each other and
themselves. I do it openly, and explain to my students that the tango is
a dance of *layered* ideas and techniques, a complexity. After a certain
point, these things shift from the realm of technique to the realm of
taste and artistry. There is well more than one way to lead an ocho--
let alone to follow an ocho lead-- and the dancer with a larger
skill-set has options. Lead and follow is all communication, and
interpretation. With beginning and intermediate students, we just
enforce a rule, and tell them to communicate within a narrow range. I do
this in the hope that they'll learn it as a foundation, so they can
later explore variations without acquiring bad technique and bad habits.
Other teachers may do it out of dogma, I don't know. But I try to keep
in mind that I'm teaching an art, which-- like all arts-- has both rules
and rule-breaking, a figure-ground relationship even on the level of
technique.

Jake Spatz
Washington, DC