[Tango-L] tango learning-- w/o teachers

El Mundo del Tango mail at elmundodeltango.com
Wed Jun 21 22:55:11 EDT 2006

AMEN!!!

Gabriel
----- Original Message -----
From: "Tova Moreno" <tovamoreno at yahoo.com>
To: <tango-l at mit.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2006 12:05 PM
Subject: Re: [Tango-L] tango learning-- w/o teachers

On 17/06/2006, at 7:02 AM, Chris, UK wrote:

> Learning is essential to learners. Teaching is essential
too - to teachers.
> Only one is essential to dancing.

I would like to see the tango dancer that learned without
ANY teachers - and I don't mean just not paying for classes
 - I mean without instruction of any kind.  Chris seems to
say, above, that teachers are non-essential.  I want to see
the dancer that has had NO instruction: no videos, no previous
instruction in other forms of movement, no dancing with people
who already know something about how to dance and would
therefore give silent or verbal assistance.

If teachers are non-essential then all you need to learn
tango is private practice (preferrably with another person
who has no knowledge of the dance either, just to keep the test
honest) and the music, yes?

I would imagine that this self-made dancer would be quite a
sight to behold, much less dance with!

Just because someone doesn't pay for classes does not mean
that they've been free from instruction, you know?  Here in
Boston we've got someone who says repeatedly that he's never
taken a class, but everytime I dance with him he asks me what
he should work on or to go over what we did in such-and-such
class. He does this with every teacher-type he dances with,
so I'd say he's been taught! (And when he dances with someone
who's not a teacher he tells them what they're doing wrong!)
I know other people that have learned most or all of what they
know by dancing with people who are better than them. In a way,
every person they danced with was their teacher!

I do believe teachers are essential. I guess what's up for debate
is whether you should pay them for their expertise. ;)

Best,
Tova in Boston
www.morenotango.com