[Tango-L] tango learning concepts

Gary Barnes garybarn at ozemail.com.au
Fri Jun 16 23:31:50 EDT 2006

On 17/06/2006, at 7:02 AM, Chris, UK wrote:

> Learning is essential to learners. Teaching is essential too - to
> teachers.
> Only one is essential to dancing.

In an extreme reductive way, this may be true - of anything: dancing
tango, fishing, gymnastics, learning to speak, driving a car.

Nevertheless, for many human activities, many people seem to find
that at least some kinds of  teaching help them to learn faster or
better. Teaching often seems to reduce the barriers to learning
enough that they start in a new field. Some people learn the same
things, without being taught. And often, people get taught, but do
not learn. Also often, people are not taught, and do not learn.

I don't know if this level of analysis is helping us figure out how
best to learn tango.

What I would like to hear is some more information about the
alternatives being suggested, mostly by Chris: learning without
teachers.

So, can someone give me some examples of how to go about learning
tango without teachers?  And, how successful is it, and for what kind
of students? I have a lot of experience of people learning with
teachers being only a part of the picture; but I have no personal
experience of anyone who has learnt to tango without teachers at any
stage.  How does it work?  Is it generally applicable? For a new
community - ie one where no-one yet dances tango - how would they go
about it? This is not an academic question - there are many places
where people are saying 'we would love to learn to tango, but there
are no teachers here, so we cannot get started'. This other method
would seem to provide a solution.

Gary