[Tango-L] Definition of Social Dancing

Paul Akmajian & Karen Reck paulnkaren at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 16 17:48:05 EDT 2006

This reply is from Karen:

Complacency can be found in many places. I'd suspect most of us have
attended classes by big-name or smaller-name instructors where at least a
few students are there primarily to pick up "hot new steps" without
recognizing that their skills are not up to it (they are complacent about
their basic skills level).

I'd consider Denver & Atlanta to be "dancing festivals" but can't recall any
dearth of dancers in classes at either event. (Extreme) case in point: Eric
Jorissen's classes in Denver this past Memorial Day weekend, where about 100
dancers per class were not complacent in developing their skills. Yes, Eric
could hold the attention of students & have everyone working in these large
classes.

That many of these classes are taught by the U.S. "protégés" of Susana
Miller is far from a negative in my eyes. (And hey, it's not just noodlin'
anymore! It never was.)

Maybe there are fewer classes offered overall at the "dancing festivals" but
there are definitely dancers taking classes, as well as dancing until dawn
(well, not me) whenever possible. After all what's the point of working on
your skills if not to exercise them?

Some of the newer & more economical festivals (Stone Soup, San Francisco
Tango X-change & others) offer ample opportunity to develop skills, perhaps
in more of a practica/exchange environment than only in "traditional"
classes... good for them!

Karen Reck
Albuquerque, New Mexico