[Tango-L] Learning versus Teaching

Stephen.P.Brown@dal.frb.org Stephen.P.Brown at dal.frb.org
Fri Jun 16 13:26:46 EDT 2006

There is a distinction between learning and teaching.  I tend to think of
each person as responsible for their own development, so I am more focused
on learning processes than teaching.

I will still argue that there are three principal methods for teaching
Argentine tango: step patterns, small elements and structural systems.  In
most cases, one of these teaching methods becomes the way that most people
learn to dance Argentine tango.  Beyond recognizing that each of the
individual pedagogies are incomplete, I would prefer to look at what the
dancer must do to get past the limitations of each of the pedagogies.  One
possibility is that in a flash of insight, the individual will break
through the limitations of their instruction and reach understanding.
Another approach is to reject all forms of instruction as inherently
limited and simply create one's own tango.   A third approach, which I
think is more fruitful is to pursue all three of the principal ways for
learning to dance Argentine tango.

My original point is that much of the apparent distinction in styles comes
from incomplete learning, fostered by instruction that is incomplete.

With best regards,
Steve

P.S. It is tiresome to discuss ideas with people who wish to parse words
and offer criticism without contributing their own content.