[Tango-L] Dance Instructor Sued for US $8 Million ...

Nitin Kibe nitinkibe at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 16 09:43:19 EDT 2006

Here's the item from the FT....

NK
Wash DC

*************

OBSERVER
HSBC banker learns the cost of obsession - OBSERVER.
295 words
Financial Times
USA Ed1
Page 12
English
(c) 2006 The Financial Times Limited. All rights reserved

It's no surprise that private bankers make loads of money these days. But it
is sometimes surprising to learn how they like to spend their money. Monica
Wong, head of HSBC's private banking in Asia, has chosen to spend a small
fortune on Latin dancing.

As a banker who makes a living by managing wealth, Wong should probably know
that HKDollars 120m (Dollars 15.4m) can buy a very nice private island in
Thailand, a few luxury flats in Hong Kong or 45 of the new Rolls-Royce
Phantoms.

But Wong clearly saw better use of the money. According to court documents
filed in Hong Kong, Wong, who was paying HKDollars 10m for two years of
unlimited Latin dance lessons, reached new contracts in 2004 with her
private instructors for HKDollars 120m for a further eight-year period. The
new lessons, however, have not been taken.

After the high-powered banker paid half of the agreed fees and just before
the new contracts started, one of the instructors allegedly called her a
"lazy cow" and asked her to "move your arse" while they were practising
publicly in a restaurant.

In her statement of claim in Hong Kong Court of First Instance, Wong alleges
that she and the instructor agreed to terminate their oral agreements
shortly after the humiliating encounter. The instructor claims they have
never reached that conclusion.

Wong is now suing her instructors - a 14-time world champion and her husband
- to get back the HKDollars 62m she has already paid.

The couple is counterclaiming Pounds 4m of unpaid fees.

The sour experience has not put Wong off. She told Observer she is still
taking Latin dance lessons - from another instructor.