[Tango-L] Definition of Social Dancing

Euroking@aol.com Euroking at aol.com
Thu Jun 15 17:26:30 EDT 2006

I guess there is extra ammunition out there because people seem to be quick
to shoot the messenger, or confuse the point.

Stephen said "My identification of festivals known for emphasizing social
dancing was
simply intended to refer to those festivals that emphasize  milongas over
classes--as is underscored by the heavy reliance on  instructors who lack
performance credentials to lift them to  prominence,  (Some of the nuevo
and nuevo-milonguero festivals don't  neatly fit such classification.)  Of
course, the people organizing the  events that emphasize affordable dancing
over instruction are marketing  their events as being for social dancing. "

Maybe I read this wrong, but I did not see a attempt to generally divide
festivals between social and stage, but to delineate between those that had more
concentration on the dancing rather than the teaching/workshop side. Nothing
more.

I view Stephen's list as just that a list and a valuable service. I don't
view it as an authorative judgement on quality, nor do I view it as a marketing
effort on his part.  Marketing is in the hands of the organizer. So thank
you Stephen.

Just some thoughts,

Bill in Seattle

In a message dated 6/15/2006 1:55:37 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,