[Tango-L] Definition of Social Dancing

WHITE 95 R white95r at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 15 16:54:41 EDT 2006

I've been in the tango scene for many years and I've never been to any
"festival" or milonga dedicated to stage dancing. I think it's disingenous
at best to label some milongas or tango events as "social" and not others.
It's like saying here is a list of people, those with asterisks next to them
are really nice and welcome social dancing, there are also others......

I know that there are some milongas usually populated by few inexperienced
dancers, where the LOD is not strictly followed and the style of dance could
be called "stage dancing". These are places where there are no experienced
teachers and the people simply don't know how to make milongas, etc. From my
experience of all the tango events I've attended all over the world, there
are no "stage tango" or non-social milongas. All the festivals or milongas
I've ever been to were events where people danced (or tried to dance)
socially to tango music (except for the alternative milongas where non-tango
muisc is played).

Regards,

Manuel