[Tango-L] Another Update on the North American Tango Festivals

Stephen.P.Brown@dal.frb.org Stephen.P.Brown at dal.frb.org
Wed Jun 14 15:15:00 EDT 2006

Unfortunately, much of the information that can be used to assess various
characteristics about the announced tango festivals is not uniformly
available.  Some organizers provide extensive information about their
events, including past attendance.  Other organizers don't provide much
more information than, "I'm having an event, please attend."

Rather than deciding what is a festival and what is not, I erred on the
side of inclusion--accepting organizers' claims about what is a
festival--even though some "festivals" appear to be not much more than a
workshop with some milongas.  Maybe they are regional festivals?  Perhaps,
I am too gullible.  I learned through a private communication that one
"festival" I listed has never taken place, despite a long-standing website
touting the event.  Non-existent probably shouldn't be listed as a
festival--even though the so-called organizer has updated his website for
the coming year's event.

In compiling my list, I did not equate close-embrace or milonguero-style
tango with social dancing.  Rather, I have used past statements by the
organizers and the mix of milongas versus classes as identifying festivals
that place the emphasis on social dancing rather than instruction.  Those
who view such identification as biased are free to ignore my identifying
asterisks.  Perhaps others would prefer a list with indentifiers for
festivals intended for young-hearted dancers, festivals with
milonguero-style tango, festivals in which nuevo-style tango is taught
with too-soft an embrace, festivals recommended by the list maker, etc.?
Such people are free to compile their own lists of festivals and send them
to Tango-L.

With best regards,
Steve