[Tango-L] Surrender: Trying again

TangoDC.com spatz at tangoDC.com
Tue Jun 6 17:18:00 EDT 2006

Indeed, I find myself in the odd position of supporting Sergio's
gender-roles point here (which I'm allegedly not able to understand, as
an American; but never mind that). Many, many women do not understand
the Leader's role in the dance, and the ponderous burden he carries.
Often, they just seek pleasure, without beginning to perceive the depth
of the relationship from which their pleasure derives.

This is why, in an earlier post, I remarked that dancing is frequently
just a shallow thrill. I hope I was not misconstrued as saying that it's
Never more than that.

This is also why I don't frown upon women who violate the strict "code"
of gender roles, and learn how to lead. One of its many benefits is that
a follower comes to understand what Else the leader is preoccupied with,
in addition to his partner. (It has other benefits, such as fun, but
that's another discussion.)

So, a big thank you to Trini for backing me up here. A big thank you to
Sergio for dropping the term "surrender" into the blender. And a big
thank you to Caroline for taking this matter seriously, and starting us
off with some particular examples.

Also-- Caroline, I'm not trying to quash your earlier post. I don't know
your partner, and I don't know his obstacles. But I do know that many a
man has been breezed off course by the follower's explanation of things,
when the follower treats the complexity of this dance reductively--
whether the box into which she puts everything be pleasure, or moves, or
what have you. The couple you witnessed may have been a good example of
the tango's redemption of life, and the leader there may very well have
been doing everything in his power to give his partner a sense of
transport. But I think you're seeing the Effect only; and I think your
partner, from the sound of it, is tangled up in the Cause side of things.

Do men really get no pleasure in the tango? Of course not. We enjoy it
quite a lot. That's why some of us dance five or six nights a week, and
practice on top of it. But we cannot (or should not, at least) enjoy it
selfishly, and put pleasure first, because it will make the dance fall
apart. Ours is a more remote satisfaction most of the time-- we take
pleasure in witnessing our partner's pleasure.

No-- actually, I'm going to give you an outright lie, because it'll
probably clear up a lot. (If not for you, then perhaps for someone out
there reading in silence.) Men do not enjoy the tango At All. We suffer
and strain to give our partners a good time. We are in extreme pain,
even during cortinas. The only reason we don't fall down is because we
have a moral duty to stand up, like the columns in a ruined temple. We
push our cars to the milonas; we arrive, stoic and Spartan; selfless;
sacrificed; with stab-wounds deep enough for light to shine through,
hidden under our shirts. All so a dame can dance a nice molinete, and
show off her flirty heels. We do it because we are men, with
steam-engine hearts, telephone-pole personalities, and brows God meant
for shaping bricks. We chew on magnets to relieve stress. We are so
gravely immune to enjoyment, it's a wonder we can move, but we do it for
your sake. Or your shoes', if you're wearing Comme il Faut.

Now, if you can understand this, and then go out to happily hunt your
next moment of pleasure, and feel not even the edge of a pang of Guilt,
I think that's commonly known as "salsa dancing."

So yes, it may be a great compliment to us if we can hide this
Piranesian hell from our dance partners. But I've danced with more than
a few women who, right off the bat, seek a shallow pleasure, expect it,
do nothing to make it happen, and feel offended because they didn't get
their kick. Do these dancers need more lessons? Maybe. Or maybe they
need to surrender their inane craving for "pleasure," have a lump of
chocolate, and come back to the dance floor with something approaching
Satiety, so that they aren't disappointed when a man, doing his utmost
to keep her free from collisions, fails to build her a kingdom of magic
abandon.

Not that I'm accusing anyone in particular of doing this.

Jake Spatz
DC