[Tango-L] Surrender

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Tue Jun 6 10:36:54 EDT 2006

Sergio wrote eloquently about surrender yesterday. I read
his message a few times because I got hung up on the word
"surrender."

He wrote "In A.Tango the woman won't be able to surrender to
her partner, the dance and the music unless she can
surrender to herself first." and "It is not possible to
allow the dance to proceed without relinquishing conscious
control and surrendering to the inner life of that creative
moment."

I understand what he means. However, I offer an alternate
expression, from my teacher, Joe. "Before we can embrace
others, we have to be able to embrace others."

Before we can accept another person's passion, we have to be
able to accept our own passion and be able to give that
passion to the other person. Without passion, you can't get
to the spiritual level of tango, which is the apotheosis of
my favorite tango expression:

                                  4 legs
                                  2 bodies
                                  1 heart

I asked Joe "How will I know when I've arrived." He said
"You won't have to ask. You'll know!!

Michael Ditkoff
Washington, DC
Regretting I'll miss this month's NY all night milonga and
to dance with O. and N, the women who taught me what the
above expression means.