[Tango-L] Tango Roles-A learning moment comes before a teaching moment

Lucia curvasreales at yahoo.com.ar
Mon Jun 5 09:41:47 EDT 2006

Dear Derik, Sergio and all:

  I believe that the latest, spirited exhanges regarding the differences  between the American and Argentine Tango portend well for the  development of North American Tango.

  Argentine Tango provided the impetus for the popularization of Tango in  the world, the time has come for each nation to reclaim its own  identity and modify the import according in its own way of life.

  I think that we are witnessing this process taking place when viewing  the ideas exchanged on the list. There should be no rancor towards this  process as there is none, for example,  towards the Finnish Tango,  and I can foresee a time when we could eventually see the emergence of  a characteristic N. American Tango...

  The strife between the Tango traditionalists and the innovators has  been running since the Decarian split and is not going to ever cease,  but we have to understand and accept the changes due to contemporaneity  and national aspirations...as we do with everything else...

  Lucia

  PS I refered to N. American Tango since the vast majority of the correspondents on the list appear to be from the US.
  My apologies to the correspondents from other countries, for my remarks apply to their societies as well.

Derik Rawson <rawsonweb at yahoo.com> escribió:  Dear Sergio:

This is a list of self taught inexperienced teachers
and I am afraid they have no real interest in learning
about Argentine culture, unless they can re-sell it as
a US American product and call it Argentine.  Token
Argentines are accepted, but not if they contradict
the US American way of doing things.  I wish you luck
with them.

Thank you for the great insight into Argentine
culture, which explains why Argentine tango has
electricity and US American tango does not.  At this
point, I have pretty much lost my patience with the
people here on this list, and I will be posting much
less often now.  I am giving up on them.  I have had
my say, and I do not want to waste more of my time.
They don't "get it", do not want to "get it", and some
will never "get it".  I will avoid dancing with women
from the USA in the future who do not understand that
the man leads, the woman follows.  Women are all
powerful as women, but less powerful as men.  Everyone
have a great day.

Derik
d.rawson at rawsonweb.com

--- Sergio Vandekier