[Tango-L] Tango Roles-A learning moment comes before a teaching moment

Derik Rawson rawsonweb at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 5 01:05:41 EDT 2006

Dear Sergio:

This is a list of self taught inexperienced teachers
and I am afraid they have no real interest in learning
about Argentine culture, unless they can re-sell it as
a US American product and call it Argentine.  Token
Argentines are accepted, but not if they contradict
the US American way of doing things.  I wish you luck
with them.

Thank you for the great insight into Argentine
culture, which explains why Argentine tango has
electricity and US American tango does not.  At this
point, I have pretty much lost my patience with the
people here on this list, and I will be posting much
less often now.  I am giving up on them.  I have had
my say, and I do not want to waste more of my time.
They don't "get it", do not want to "get it", and some
will never "get it".  I will avoid dancing with women
from the USA in the future who do not understand that
the man leads, the woman follows.  Women are all
powerful as women, but less powerful as men.  Everyone
have a great day.

Derik
d.rawson at rawsonweb.com

--- Sergio Vandekier <sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear friends of tango,
>
>                     The premise is that in tango
> like in life there is a
> masculine and a feminine role.
>
> These roles are played when you dance or perhaps
> they are not evident in
> your dancing.
>
> I am going to translate some paragraphs from Nicole
> Nau's book "Tango, Un
> Baile muy Portenio"
> the book was edited in November of 2000.
>
> I could explain this according to my own experience
> but I am going to avoid
> doing that due to all the problems we have been
> having before.
>
> What follows is not antiquity, is today. It is not
> my saying this is the way
> it is . is a German woman who came to Argentina to
> learn about its culture,
> tango and life in genral.
>
> Nicole Nau says in her book (page 159):
>
> " Generally speaking the  world of the woman and
> that of the man are totally
> separated in Argentina. This causes that the woman
> on one side is a total
> enigma and a mystery for the man and the masculine
> universe is accepted by
> the woman as something unknown and  a fortress to be
> respected.
>
> Each one knows of his specific strength and that of
> the other sex avoiding
> the fatal consequences of : comparing, competing or
> lack of trust.
>
> To be "macho" in Argentina means to be a man with
> all his privileges but
> also with all his obligations.
>
> In public he is the chief. There is no discussion
> whatsoever in this
> respect. Both know it. But "to be a man" in
> Argentina does not only means to
> have a woman but also to be responsible for her, to
> protect her.
>
> It is like having a treasure in this life, for which
> is worth to fight day
> and night. A beautiful woman.
> In this fashion "machismo" in Argentina has no
> negative implication, quite
> the opposite, to be macho is an excellent
> characteristic.
>
> Women, specially in the tango world, organize all
> activities in such a way,
> that the man be convinced that what is happening was
> according to his
> desires. In this form the world will be in perfect
> order for him.  Men flirt
> with women all the time  . He is pleased by a smile,
> or a special look:
> something that suggests that he could have her if he
> wanted her. This is a
> totally innocent attitude, there is no threat
> whatsoever.
> Both women and men know how to play this game
> without  burning their
> fingers. Both feel the potentiality of something but
> they do not allow it to
> happen.
>
> Masculine (page. 163)
>
> Masculine is synonymous with activity, greatness,
> vigor, strength.

> [...]

Derik Rawson
d.rawson at rawsonweb.com
http://www.rawsonweb.com
713-522-0888 USA Landline Direct to Portable Cell Phone
281-754-4315 USA Landline Voice/Fax
d.rawson at cal.berkeley.edu
d.rawson at haas.alum.berkeley.edu
rawsonweb at yahoo.com