[Tango-L] Gender Roles

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 3 13:30:07 EDT 2006

Gender Roles

I agree with Sergio's assertion that separate male
and female roles are essential to the Argentine
tango. For the record, I am not reversing my prior
position that I prefer to dance with women who lead.
If people find these two conditions contradictory,
maybe I will try to resolve that later. For now, I
will try to briefly defend the argument that these
two roles are necessarily distinct.

First, some a priori assumptions:

1. Argentine tango is an art, not a craft.
(This distinction has been made before on
the list. Use the archive.)
2. The essence of art is the elevation of
the mundane to the sublime.
3. Argentine tango is the sublimation of the
mundane biological act of mating into the art
of dance. If anyone is outraged by this assumption,
go look up "sublimation" before you flame.

Conclusions in reverse order:

3. There are very few rules about the relationship
between art and the mundane. But one is that the
object of sublimation must be recognizable in the
interpreted representation. There is a biological
necessity for male and female roles in the act of
mating. Any representation of mating, however
sublime, must preserve those roles to have any
meaning. This does not mean that the roles must be
played by the respective genders, only that they
must be played.

2. When Jake de DC described tango as the exact
opposite of sublimation: the precipitation of
voyeurism from art, I interpreted it as a clever
inside joke for those who "get it". Did I give you
too much credit Jake? I am referring to your idea of
displaying the woman's legs. If you were serious,
then you don't yet "get it".

1. You must be an artist to dance the Argentine
tango. I believe that artistry is a basic element of
human nature. It is often suppressed by unnatural
forces, such as the drive for economic productivity
(there are no artists in the oil industry). If an
individual's drive for artistry is completely
repressed, perhaps he may no longer be considered
human. Interpreted this way, I accept Lucia's Faustian
argument. I believe that the rising
popularity of Argentine tango is due to its ability
to release long suppressed artistic urges. Through
the pursuit of tango, economic resources revert into
human beings. Thus the feeling among many tangueros:
that they were not truly alive until (except when)
they danced tango. Other forms of dance, which may be
practiced as a craft, do not necessarily have this
capacity for the re-humanization of their
practitioners. Although, if practised as an art, the
type of dance is not relevant. Thus some (not me) may
find their humanity through ballroom or other dances.

Sean

Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh's most popular social dance.
http://www.pitt.edu/~mcph/PATangoWeb.htm