[Tango-L] Milongueros celebrate birthdays in June

Janis Kenyon jantango at feedback.net.ar
Thu Jun 1 00:04:42 EDT 2006

Osvaldo Vicente Centeno -- June 15, 1937 -- 69
Osvaldo (El Oso) qualified for the final round of the Campeonato
Mundial in 2005.  He never saw any video of himself dancing until November.
I once asked him if he would rather watch futbol or dance tango--he said
tango.  When Argentina is playing in the World Cup this month, Osvaldo will
be dancing.  After a long day driving a taxi, he goes to milonguear in El
Beso, Salon Canning, or Club Gricel.  Osvaldo says--soy milonguero, porteno
y bailarin.  Make a note of his cell number to call him when you arrive at
Ezeiza: 15-5752-7188

Roberto Carreras -- June 18, 1931 -- 75
Pocho has danced for many years with Nely, and they recorded a series of
instructional programs for Solo Tango--Tango pura de cepa.   Unfortunately,
Pocho doesn't have the stamina he used to, and he doesn't go to dance very
often.  I have had the pleasure of dancing milonga con traspie with him.
How smooth can you get!

Alfredo B. Barcones -- June 21, 1930 -- 76
A couple years ago he grew a short ponytail. I snapped a photo when he had
it.  Alfredo can be found on Saturday afternoons in Leonesa at the
milongueros' table.

Luis Santillan -- June 21, 1931 -- 75
A regular at Lo de Celia's, Luis has great feeling for the music.  His
daughter learned to dance tango with him.  His soft hair tickles my eye when
we dance.  I remember when he invited an American woman at my table to
dance.  She had only danced three months, and he thought she was my sister.

The milongueros are a vanishing species.  During May, I learned about the
passing of Orlando, Camilo Solino (69), Angel Kahnan (71) and Ricardo Vidort
(76).  The milongas aren't the same without them.

Janis Kenyon
Buenos Aires