[Tango-L] Choreography

TangoDC.com spatz at tangoDC.com
Wed Jul 26 15:51:46 EDT 2006

Hi Jonathan,

I think you could say I'm going for a major in what you're talking
about, and a minor in everything else. (I largely agree with Manuel's
posts too.)

That said: I've seen first-hand, and been told by others, that playing
with full-on choreography actually Can improve one's improv skills. I
think that happens because these things overlap a lot more than we like
to admit. But I'm dead-set on improving, and find that exposing that
overlap is a great way to identify where I need to improvise more, if
I'm honestly going to call it improvisation.

I.e., this critical writing has a big component of self-criticism. I'm
not afraid to identify my shortcomings: I love it. It shows me exactly
what to work on.

Festival and milonga performers, to generalize, use improv choreo almost
exclusively. But most of them limit their choreography (in Trini's use
of the word) to give things a clearer sense of form, and to minimize the
chances of something going wrong. Dancers also have preferred
vocabularies in performance, and that's part of this overlap I'm talking
about. I've noticed that Alex Krebs, for instance, more heavily favors
sacadas in performance than he does in his social dancing, which has a
richer, wider vocab. But the payoff is that his performances foreground
rhythm very crisply. I think it's a conscious, aesthetic decision. Other
dancers have other preferences. Jaimes, lately, seems to favor walking,
and it gives his performances a sharpness and edge. Nick Jones is an
example of someone who seems to improvise his choreography (again, in
Trini's usage), and his every movement, much more than other young
performers. He's after a different result, so it's a different
compromise going in. All this has an impact on how articulate, how
clearly presented the (improvised) performance is, as a whole.

Also, I believe the visual impact of this dance isn't divorced from the
feel of it. I used to think so, until I started watching videos of
myself practicing. I saw all sorts of things going on; and then, paying
attention to them in the dance, I found myself better able to fix minor
problems. And we can tell, by eye, when a choreographed stage
performance has great virtuosity (e.g., a rich and varied choreography),
but No Soul, so there's obviously a value in studying the visual side of
things.

But to get back on course... When we learn a sequence, or a new move, we
often learn it as planned choreography. The challenge is to make it
improvised, and as spontaneous as possible. Performers who teach such
sequences, such as Fabian sometimes does, are teaching, I think, actual
choreography in the strict sense of the term-- bits and pieces from
their rehearsed dances. If our foundation in lead-follow and connection
is solid enough, we can discover new things about that foundation by
using these complex, pre-mapped tools to explore it. Then we can break
apart the prefab sequence, and recombine its various parts, a la Cubist
collage, to which tango dancing in general has been compared rather
frequently. I extend that comparison to the music as well, and I think
the likeness is why we're discussing choreography and syncopation at the
same time.

In my private exchanges on this topic, and my conversations with
friends, I've been seeing that followers have a different view of our
dances than leaders do. Good followers pick up on our habits very well;
they know which turns and elements we favor, which ones we don't, and
how we tend to move. This is why something uncustomary (according to us
leaders), even if led perfectly, can surprise them, and wake them up a
little. My girlfriend knows full well that I don't improvise as much as
I think I do; it may, at first, chafe me to hear her say it, but my mind
is open enough to realize she's dead goddamn right.

Nor do I believe this is a case of two lovebirds slugging it out. I've
heard the same thing from others, about other dancers, about me, about
everyone. I suspect that this is why many women who also lead, if their
partners' opinions are to be trusted, have much less predictable
footwork than the majority of men-- even than excellent men. I suspect
they're dancing the way they wish we were dancing. That's what I see in
DC anyway, as the theme that unites all the good female leaders, despite
their other differences.

My point being: Improv is a matter of degrees. Lots of gray in there.
The line of dance is a shaping element. The music is. Our breathing is.
I want to get in there with a zoom lens and see what else I can play
with, for all my partners' benefit and for mine.

This kind of hair-splitting, I believe, is where progress comes from,
after you've reached a certain level of proficiency. Case in point:
We've been talking about things in terms of "steps," out of convenience.
But what's a step? Extension, weight-shift, collection... All three of
these may be shaped creatively. You can collect not only with a
different speed, but with a changing speed, with dynamism. And this is
also where the follower can be very present as a maker of the dance,
without breaking the connection or disrupting the lead. I've posted on
that before, and have been teaching it recently. For a lot of dancers,
it's proving to be a wake-up call, as it was for me.

I'm not saying this stuff has to be "conscious." I'm saying it has to be
there. I think there's a misunderstanding on this list about that... I
realize that calculus is the branch of math that could describe what I'm
getting at (if that helps anyone), but that's not how I feel it. I feel
sculptural motion. Every single moment, including pauses (which have
things going on), carved into space and time, engorged with presence. I
rarely "think" in any normal way about what's going on when I'm on the
dance-floor. But I reflect on it afterwards, and learn from myself, and
come back to the dance with fewer rote habits. That's the empirical
process informing my posts. And as a side-effect of my reflection, I now
notice I've been dancing almost exclusively in close-embrace for about
two weeks. I've been heading towards that, because it's easier to
explore this kind of sculpting with it.

Anyhow, I feel this has turned into a great discussion. I hope everyone
else is getting something out of it too. (And I apologize for not
elaborating earlier, as I was doing in private exchanges. It was stupid,
and just held things up.)

Jake Spatz
DC