[Tango-L] Embellishment Queens

TangoDC.com spatz at tangoDC.com
Fri Jul 28 16:11:40 EDT 2006

You know,

Given how much Guys practice their junk at milongas, I don't really see
a problem with women getting into the game on their end. Plus, it
teaches the learning leader how to listen, how to leave room on purpose,
how to Not leave room on purpose...

The newly crowned embellishment queen needs time to play with her new
skills. To develop and refine them. And there's nothing wrong with that.
Not everyone has a practice partner, and not everyone can retain class
material until after the milongas (which often happen right after such
classes, in America at least).

Furthermore, all aspects of this dance need to be explored in the
musical, multi-partner, and ronda context of a milonga, not just in
practice sessions. We shouldn't frown on this, if we want dancers to
develop effectively; we should (with proper guidance) encourage it.
There is no other way to really learn HOW to do these things, except
trial by fire.

We need a little less kvetching and a little more solution when it comes
to things like this. The best way to bring people up is to cooperate
with them and constructively shape what they're doing. Don't just
partner your partner: partner the learning process.

Jake Spatz
Washington, DC

"If at first you don't succeed, redefine success."
-- Paris Hilton, "Diamond Quest" (cell-phone videogame)