[Tango-L] Taxi Dancers

Melina Sedo melinasedo at onlinehome.de
Fri Jul 28 13:22:14 EDT 2006

Hello everybody,

In my opinion there are serveral kinds of taxi dancers and each one may
be an addition to a Milonga, if you do not take it too seriously and
don't make a fuss about it. It's just a part of the game.

A The hidden taxi dancer
A lot of men will dance with women who are not their first choice for
the "common good". Most organisers even invite them to do so. If I see
a woman sitting around at our Milongas I will ask one of the men I know
to dance with her, if they do not notice themselves. This woman may not
have been his dream-partner but it does not hurt him either to dance
with her, it may even be very nice. And if he behaves polite and nicely
and does not give the impression of doing it out of "charity",  she
will be happy to dance, other dancers may notice her and the general
atmosphere will improve as nobody's sitting around with a sad face.
In my opinion all organisers of Milongas should see to that the women
get to dance, may she be a beginner, a stranger or a
good-dancing-attractive-female whom nobody dares to invite. A lot of
Milongas wither and die because of the women staying away out of
frustration, which results in the men not coming again, because there
are not enough women. A vicious circle...

B The fun taxi dancer
Taxi dancers may be part of a special Milonga. We once organised a
Milonga in the 20's style with serveral attractions including taxi
dancers. We invited 5 good dancers from all over Germany, who would be
able to play this role for a night and they got the hotel for free as a
"pay". The women bought tickets for 1 Euro, which were worth 3 dances.
(The money was donnated for charity.) Everybody had a lot of fun: It
was one of the rare Milongas, where men and women were almost in equal
numbers, women could invite men feely without feeling bad and the
taxi-dancers loved playing their role as "Tango-Gigolos". I've never
seen so many happy women at a Milonga before or after...
... one or two of the better male dancers though felt offended, as they
where not the main attraction this evening and the women where not
"haunting" them as usual. One did not even come as a protest! ;-)

C The professional taxi dancer
Someone who's easily recognisable as a taxi dancer and may be hired
officially, either for an evening or a few dances. There are quite a
lot of them in Buenos Aires and I think it's totally ok - if you don't
treat them as male prostitutes. It's business - why not?

My opinion concerning the quality of taxi-dances:
Maybe they will not be heaven, but if you've been sitting around for
hours waiting to be invited you just want to dance and a taxi-dancer
might come handily. ;-)
Not every man may like to play this role or take this kind of
"responsibility" but - hey - you will not be forced to do so. Not every
woman will want to dance with a taxi-dancer, but you don't have to
invite him and you may refuse him, if he invites you.

As I said befor: it's just a part of the big game and you may play it
or not - just as you like.

:-)

Cheers,

Melina