[Tango-L] Taxi Dancers

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 28 11:29:41 EDT 2006

Angie,

One way of looking at it is that taxi dancers let you show
off your dance skills, so that the other men can ask you to
dance.  It can be hard to get a dance if no one has seen
you dance before.  I know two women who paid the
airfare/hotel to a festival for a talented but poor college
student, with the condition that he dance a few dances with
them at the milongas.  After that he was free to dance with
whom he wanted.  The arrangement worked well for everybody.
 And the women had a great time.

Trini de Pittsburgh

--- M Gonzalez <mytangoaddress at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Tangueros,
>
> Can I ask you for your views on the presence of taxi
> dancers at festivals
> (in the US, and everywhere else)?
>
> I don't seem to resolve my own personal deep conflict
> with it-- I want to
> have the certainty that, when I am being asked to dance,
> is because the
> person wanted to dance with me, rather than give me some
> sort of 'charity'
> dance-- or a 'sales pitch' dance, to ensure that I come
> back to this or that
> festival once more.
>
> Even if I dance less, I ask for quality and
> connection--and something tells
> me that, by nature, a taxi-tanda can never be good
> enough-- any views?
>
> Angie

Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh's most popular social dance.
http://www.pitt.edu/~mcph/PATangoWeb.htm