[Tango-L] Embellishment Queens

Deby Novitz dnovitz at lavidacondeby.com
Thu Jul 27 13:04:39 EDT 2006

This happens because every so called Tango Diva that visits the U.S. and
elsewhere teaches a workshop on adornments and embellishments for
women.  So women learn the brushes, the circles, the what evers.  Then
they try to use every single one in a dance because then they think they
will look like (take your pick) Geraldine, Guillermina, Alexjandra,
Graciela....They think (my sense anyway..) that using all these
adornments make them look "professional".

The statement that I get the most from women is "I want my feet to look
like yours"  followed by "Can you teach me how to do make my feet like
yours?" or the variation " I have taken so many classes on adornments
and I still cannot do them."

Once again...it is the music...I only do embellishments if the music
asks for it.  I use them sparingly.  Sometimes never in a dance,
sometimes several times, and NEVER if my lead does not permit it.  A
woman should never dance against the lead or on her own.  (Yes, I know,
we had this discussion last month) If a woman does not know the music
and she starts throwing in all these adornments, not only does it look
awkward, it throws off her partner.  I have yet to see a class where the
adornments are taught as part of musicality.