[Tango-L] Stop the Figures and Concentrate on the Connection and the Music

Jeff Gaynor jjg at jqhome.net
Thu Jul 27 11:29:05 EDT 2006

Ron Weigel wrote:
I was in the class last night -- good job Ron! A couple of comments as a
newbie.

>After class Susana told me what was behind this. Our student dances
>very well for someone dancing one year, but she had encountered
>someone at a festival who actually dropped her in the middle of the
>floor during a song because she couldn't follow his giros. What kind
>of message does that send?!!

Right after this I danced with her and did 3 or 4 of these on a hunch,
and she followed them just fine. The point being that the other dancer
probably did not respect her axis nor did he probably accomodate her,
viz., no matter what movement the lead initiates, he must adjust to what
happens as a result rather than mechanically following through the rest
of some sequence. I call this accomodating since I don't know what the
real term, if any, there is for it. Once her momentum was moving one
way, he has an obligation to see to it that she doesn't end up in a heap
even if he looks like a total ninny. The few times I've seen things like
this (a pattern starts and one finishes with a flourish while the other
stumbles around the room), I note a distinct difference in how it is
perceived.  Experienced dancers heap scorn on the leader, novices heap
scorn on the follower.

>There are thousands of dancers out there (probably tens of thousands
>worldwide) who learn tango as a set of steps to be executed. The
>mindset of these dancers is think a figure, then execute it. They do
>their figures without having basic knowledge of partner connection and
>musicality. These dance robots execute a set of memorized patterns,
>without understanding the leading and following technique that create
>them. Dancing set figures may be typical in ballroom dancing, but it
>is far from the essence of tango as a social dance.

Ah, but there is a pedagogical problem here. Ultimately you want
followers and leaders to dance and whatever figures occur will happen of
their own accord as dictated by space, music, momentum and other
factors, right? Figures are one way to impart the movements that
characterize the dance. They are easy for teachers to show and students
can learn them reasonably within the limits of a class. Since good
teachers can use them effectively, they will remain a strong part of the
tango landscape. I might humbly tender that they are not evil, but that
teachers don't comminicate to the students that figures are properly
like training wheels on a bicycle and should be used as an aid to help
them internalize the dance. Abandoning them is a mark of maturing as a
dancer and that ought to be an explicit goal, right? Of course, I'm sure
there are teachers who really don't know that figures aren't tango as
well as those who just can't teach, but these are separate issues.

$.02

Jeff