[Tango-L] Choreography

Euroking@aol.com Euroking at aol.com
Wed Jul 26 19:55:05 EDT 2006

Someone once said, referring to military battle plans, and I am
paraphrasing, the best military plans are great until the first shot is  fired.
This is how, IMO I see the difference between choreography, which I  totally
degree is an art, and is created and executed for artistic effect.  I also
recognize that some have defined  choreography as any planned sequence of steps
or movements. In a stage  performance, I would recognize both connotation of
the word to be accurate.  The former being a success and the  latter not so
successful.
What I am having trouble accepting is that any sequence of steps is
choreography, no matter how few.  I  will buy the fact beginners will dance or try to
dance a choreographed routine,  as that is all they know. They have been
taught a series of sequences. They can  transition from one to another and that is
the limit of their experience. Until  they realize that Tango is a series of
steps, a walk if you will, and that at  any point they are able to go in any
direction (well almost) there is a  choreographic element to Tango.
Also, again looking at the connotation of Choreography, what is the  length
of the sequence, is an 8 step basic Choreography? Is a Salida  Choreography?
On the other hand is  the random or unpreplanned linking of these sequences
improvised  choreography.
Back to my military analogy, in a social context, preplanned or
choreographed sequences will only be successful until the second note is played.  At that
point of time you are on your own and need to adapt your dance to the  other
dancers and the music. The other dancers are the variables that limit the
preplanning of the dance and the music is the constant you return  to.
Simply put, for me. Choreography is a preplanned sequence of steps that  are
rehearsed and known and expected by both dancers. Improvisation is the
sequence that develops step by step depending on the music, your partner and the
other dancers on the floor.  Any  mincing of semantics beyond that to me, at my
early stage of learning is not  useful.  I will and do recognize  that the
discussions preceding this are enlightening and in many cases  intellectually
enticing, they do not help relative to understanding and dancing  Tango.
Just some thoughts,
Bill in Seattle.

In a message dated 7/26/2006 12:54:07 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,