[Tango-L] Can we please just dance?

TangoDC.com spatz at tangoDC.com
Wed Jul 26 12:37:16 EDT 2006

Good points, Andy. I'm behind you all the way.

And to clarify where my own posts are coming from: I'm not _speculating_
here about, e.g., syncopating rests, or syncopating the dance Against
the music, or the partners against each other. I'm using language to
describe what my body does (and my partners' do) on the dance floor.
Discussion and research, for me, have the nature of backtracking, so I
can fit proper terms to the concrete events that go on night after
night. And with proper terms found, I often see new ways to develop.

I assume others do this as well, and aren't Just speculating. Not that
speculation has no value, of course. Theory and practice feed each
other. That's why artists talk shop about pigments and bristles. Or used
to, anyway...

As for "cadencia," that's a term with a long history in many
languages... Initially, I believe it described a kind of proto-rhyme
with a foregrounded rhythm, used at the end of prose paragraphs in Roman
rhetoric, and managed well by, e.g., Cicero... thus its current usage
(as "cadenza") to describe the resolution of musical passages, or things
drawing to a close generally. Etymologically, it has to do with
"falling." Since the Ending of things tend to intensify shape (e.g., the
rhymes at the ends of verse lines, highlighted especially at the ends of
stanzas or poems), "cadence" has come to have a broad meaning as well,
as in speech, referring to clearly shaped rhythm or other effect,
without the connotation of closure.

In tango, I'm aware of one less-than-usual usage of "cadencia"... The
standing-still weight-shifts that many dancers commence a song with, to
get connected, to mark rhythm, etc. I frequently teach my students to
use this at the beginning of a dance to sync up with each other, and
also to recover the connection when things go wrong. Also in case they
run out of room on the floor. But primarily to get connected and key in
to the rhythm. I translate the term, in this context, loosely as "rhythm
finder." It's also a nice way to let them explore rhythmic effects like
syncopation, cutting the beat, and whatever else they can think of.

I'm far from certain that this meaning of "cadencia" is a widely used
term, however. I may even be using it incorrectly. But it makes sense,
so I continue using it. I can't recall where I picked it up. Other views
would be very much welcomed.

Jake Spatz
Washington, DC

p.s. As for avoiding "upbeat" and "downbeat" (and "backbeat," for that
matter)... I personally don't rely on them, because my basic approach
involves so much syncopation, I can't keep track of up and down anymore.
I used to play bass that way too, like many an amateur drawn to funk, or
influenced by the rhythmically adventurous indie rock bands in DC, many
of whom screw around with odd meters as well as off rhythms. Especially
Hoover... (Amazon has samples of their excellent album "The Lurid
Traversal of Route 7," in case anyone has Extra free time, and is into
post-punk indie bands... try tapping your hand to it, regularly, and
you'll hear syncopation all over the place. Especially in "Electrolux,"
whose odd meter makes the entire musical phrase syncopate with your hand
the second time it's played. It's "ba-Yum" writ large.)