[Tango-L] syncopation

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 24 11:57:23 EDT 2006

Aha!  The introduction of "tempo" is interesting and now
has me confused.  I would have defined syncopation and
double-time the same way Russell and Melroy did.

Tempo, as I read today in an online dictionary, involves
the pacing of music, which is independent of rhythm,
correct?  So double-time would be like taking a 4 minute
song and playing it in 2 minutes?

Sebastian, could you please define what "contratiempo" is?

Thanks,
Trini de Pittsburgh

--- Sebastian Arce <arcetango at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Chris,
>
> There are two big different things, double time... and
> syncopation I agree.
> The therm "Double time" is just duplicating the musical
> beats within a
> rhytmical meassure and that in written music makes only
> part of the
> 'alterations du movement' such as Animato, Accelerando,
> Doppio (your double
> time) Pio moto, Piu mosso etc etc .
>
> On the other hand, sincopa is the rhytmical accentuation
> of the intervalo
> beetween the meak and strong beat and that lasts untill
> the next strong
> beat.
>
> Example of a syncopa: Beethoven. Sonate op. 31 no 1.
> Called 'La boiteuse'
> representing the syncopated rhythmical accentuation.
>
> If you are a accomplished musician, think that I doubt
> myself... for your
> reasonings and your way to communicate and share your
> thoughts, you will
> clearly know that if you ask a band to play a 'double
> time' they will start
> to accelerate the stablished tempo... since the remark of
> 'doppio tempo'
> stablishes that there is an alteration of the TEMPO.
>
> To avoid any other missunderstanding, please do not
> CONFUSE contratempo, and
> syncopation. The syncopa extends untill the strong beat,
> the contratempo
> DOESN't. And please... remember that 'doubletempo' is
> only a remark
> regarding the interpretation of the 'movimento'.
>
> As you already have noticed Chris, open books, open your
> mind and ears...
> this might be helpful.
>
> With all my respect,
> S.Arce

Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh's most popular social dance.
http://www.pitt.edu/~mcph/PATangoWeb.htm