[Tango-L] Choreography

Chris, UK tl2 at chrisjj.com
Sat Jul 22 06:36:00 EDT 2006

Jake wrote:

> Perhaps we could actually accelerate people's learning
> by teaching more complex figures first

Many do teach complex figures first. But what this accelerates is not
learning, but earning.

> it adds adrenaline to the learning process.

It sure does. I recall a first-time visiting instructor 'teaching' backwards
saccadas into overturned ochos to a class of beginners to 'give them a feel
of advanced stuff early on'.

That feel was painful. The girls adrenaline-striken bodies felt as if they'd
been through a lesson in self-defence. Which actually, they had.

> Starting big gives you Context

Starting 'big' undermines context. That context is the essential feeling for
self, relationship and the music.

Chris