[Tango-L] Choreography

Igor Polk ipolk at virtuar.com
Fri Jul 21 20:14:22 EDT 2006

Trini: "What should I be saying instead?  Just "vocabulary"?"

Use "Style", Element, Figure, Steps, Idea, Sequence..

There is no point to use the world "Choreography" to describe what is not.
Only like a metaphor.
During the dance you can not "choose choreography", you can improvise, or
dance what is pre-defined.
Choreographed, it means prepared, designed, graphed before.

Huck is right saying that "choreography" is about dance notation and
performance.
We should respect words, otherwise the messy world will become even more
messy.

I am currently trying to align the meaning of the word "connection" to what
I need. Please, send me your understanding of this, so that I know in what
content to use it, and should I choose another word to name what I need to.
I am not looking for a definition, just a description. From any school.

Igor.

Suppose I am explaining to someone about not using high
boleos or potentially harmful ganchos on a crowded dance
floor.  I might say, choose your choreography to fit the
available space.  This is actually how I normally use the
word - choosing a portion of vocabulary out of one's full
repertoire.  I am not referring to scripting the dance.

Or I might say, that if one is dancing to D'Arienzo, one's
choreography might include more rhythmic elements rather
than languid elements (like the climbing a tree embrace :).