[Tango-L] Choreography

Kace kace at pacific.net.sg
Fri Jul 21 16:45:00 EDT 2006

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) wrote:
> For "choreography" in the way I prefer to use it, I think
> of it simply as how one combines vocabulary, but it doesn’t
> mean following a preset formula.  In a way, any two-step
> pattern (rock step, ocho), can be called a choreography,
> right?  If one has favorite ways to enter or exit a
> particular movement (or habits), doesn’t that become a
> choreography?
>
> Trini de Pittsburgh
This use of the word "Choreography" is simply equating it to a "script".
That
only covers part of what it really is.

The key element of choreography, in my opinion, is the power to communicate
between dancers and audience. If there is no audience, there is no
absolute need
to choreograph, since the communication between the dancing couple is
already
solved by perfect notion of using lead and follow dynamics, and
improvisation.

A choreography is needed mainly to transform a big artistic idea into a
series
of movements that can be visually understood by the audience. It is the
choreographer's job to be the "third eye" during rehearsals; his version
of what
message the dance is trying to send; his selective application of tango
steps,
accented with vocabulary from ballet and other forms of body language, and
how he create or adapt a soundtrack to make everything fit.

Without understanding the full reason for choreographing a performance,
the whole experience becomes distorted to the point of either (1)
self-indulgence,
the dancers doing what they like but not making any point to the
audience; or
(2) purely technical, like a show-off pulling out his entire bag of
tricks to get
a "wow" reaction.

Kace
tangosingapore.com