[Tango-L] Connection, how do you teach it?

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Thu Jul 20 17:11:20 EDT 2006

Igor asked:
How do you teach connection, especially in open embrace?
I don't have a clue how teach connection in open embrace. I
can help with close. Both partners have to be relaxed. (Most
dancers think they are relaxed, but they aren't. They have
adjusted to their tension.) How can you tell when a couple
is tense. Look at the couple's arms on the open side
(woman's right arm, man's left arm.) If the arms are fully
extended upward or outward, there is tension in the arm
because only tense muscles could put the arms in those
positions.

I suggest you tell the partners to connect at the chest
without embracing. Tell them to close their eyes and feel
their breathing or their partner's breathing. Both of them
should have their eyes shut. Then I would tell one of them
to start walking without music (eyes open), one step at a
time so that both partners can feel movement and the weight
change.

After the walking for about 10 minutes, I suggest you put on
a slow DiSarli and have them just walk to the music, no
figures.

With the need to do figures eliminated, the couple can
listen to each other without worrying what's coming next,
I'm afraid I'm going to miss the lead, etc.

Michael Ditkoff
Washington, DC
New York Tango Festival next week.
Unfortunately, karma sutra isn't on the program. Maybe it's
not too late to change the program.