[Tango-L] connection

WHITE 95 R white95r at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 19 17:32:26 EDT 2006

>From: "Trini y Sean (PATangoS)" <patangos at yahoo.com>
>To: Tango-L <Tango-L at mit.edu>

>Nicely put Melanie. Too bad that the close embrace
>commandos* will argue that they are talking about an
>emotional connection rather than a physical connection, and
>they can not comprehend that an emotional connection is
>possible at any distance. (And maybe for them, they really
>can't manage it.)

Out of sight out of mind? ;-)

>*I dance close embrace because I like it, not for religious
>fervor. But when it's over 75 degrees at the milonga, I
>dance wide open salon, with at least 6" of breathing room
>between our chests. And when I'm dancing with a really
>good, creative dancer, then I'll dance that freaky nuevo
>stuff.

You are right about dancing with excellent, skilled dancers. It's a real and
rare pleasure to play and experiment with the right partner. I'm basically a
social dancer although my wife (and tango partner) and I perform in all
sorts of occasions. I can dance all sorts of neat, more elaborate steps and
movements with her even during milongas because we have a lot of experience
dancing and exercise control as well as consideration for other dancers. I
also dance "open" with Gaby, our partner in Tango Rio as well as with other
dancers who can actually dance like that.

Generally, I dance in a very rhythmic style and with a very close embrace.
It's very enjoyable and easier to dance. Also with lots of dancers, there is
not much of an option because they can only dance a simple (albeit perfectly
good) close embrace. I had the good fortune to dance with several
outstanding women over this past weekend and it was awesome to dance so
creatively and playfully. This kind of "open" embrace (I hate that label :P)
is just phenomenal with the right partner. It's a fantastic experience which
requires a totally concentrated connection to one's partner as well as the
other people in the dance floor. To say that only a close embrace embodies
"connection" is just plain wrong. Only a person who has not danced in a more
flexible, creative, enjoyable manner could say that and truly believe it.

I think the hatred that some people exhibit against those who do not dance
exclusively the apilado style, probably comes from experiencing the rude,
inconsiderate and hostile/aggressive dancers who populate certain milongas.
IMHO, these people are not the exponent or example of "open" dancing. They
are just very selfish people who are showoffs and jerks. Although some of
them seem to have reasonably good command of their steps and the floor, they
are not social dancers, but rather anti-social dancers. Although most appear
to use more "showy" figures, they just misuse the basic tango steps. There
are also some of the apilado persuasion who are obstacles or misguided
missiles on the dance floor. Dance style is independent of temperament and
does not indicate who's a jerk and who isn't. That's a subject for a
different topic.

Sincerely,

Manuel