[Tango-L] Why I do dance close embrace

TangoDC.com spatz at tangoDC.com
Tue Jul 18 21:46:20 EDT 2006

Interestingly, almost all the reasons you offer, Sergio, are reasons why
someone might dance close-embrace *exclusively*. Or why someone might
defend dancing that way, against other styles, polemically. (I find it
bizarre that so many people have this mindset, but they do, and that's
ultimately more their problem than mine. Perhaps you framed this thread
that way on purpose.)

For my part, I choose to dance close-- provided nothing else compels me
to do so-- because it's a unique form of dancing, with its own feel and
expressive possibilities. Like everything else, it has its limitations;
but it also has options that aren't readily available by other means. It
is a genre of tango, as it were; it has its conventions, its sub-genres,
and so forth. Sometimes it's the best decision. And sometimes I dance
open because That's the best decision. Sometimes things change as the
song progresses. I "prefer" nothing; I choose to strive after quality.

But when it comes to loose change on the floor, I'm open-embrace all the
way, Chas. Your way may work in Buenos Aires, but that's only because
you have to hide the coin with your shoe and drag it to the end of the
tanda, because there's no room to bend over and pick it up. (Not that
you actually "drag" it... the coin is going there anyway.)

Jake Spatz
Washington, DC