[Tango-L] milonga-milongueros

Deby Novitz dnovitz at lavidacondeby.com
Tue Jul 18 11:02:42 EDT 2006

For the record no teachers ever admits that they take or have taken
classes from other teachers...only when the teachers are dead.  Mimi
once said if the people who teach would tell them that she had been
their teacher, then they would take from her, not that teacher.  She
says no one ever admits it.  Case in point, Carlos Gavito started taking
lessons from her father when he was 16.  He studied with Mariano I think
8 years.  He never once talked about those beginning lessons.  Instead
he talks about learning in the milongas.  After knowing Mimi, knowing
Gavito, it was very clear to me the influence of his dance.  Yes, he
adjusted the movements to his own style as any dancer should, but his
foundation was pure Marianito.

Once in conversation with the both of them (Gavito and Mimi) he talked
about her father.  They talked about learning together.  Yet, Gavito
never mentions his time with both of them.  Simply put, if you knew he
studied with her father, then you would take from the daughter.

The dance world is competitive, jealous, and to be honest ugly at
times.  It is not always about wonderful soulful music, and people who
love to dance.