[Tango-L] Social Tango: A Cultural Perspective

El Mundo del Tango mail at elmundodeltango.com
Fri Jul 14 04:16:57 EDT 2006

<<Umm, no.  In Buenos Aires, for tango purposes, milongueros are a group of
insiders
who decide who is and isn't a milonguero.  Who is and isn't a milonguero
makes no sense to outsiders, but they all know  who is and isn't.>>

I was taking about what the word means , not secret handshakes into a club
for the "friends of the friends"

<<We know the term arose in Buenos Aires, and Argentine Spanish has evolved
very independently of Spanish in the rest of South America. >>

No. It was used long before a Tango context, Buenos Aires or not, ever
existed. You go to cocktail parties, salsa, whatever, all the time..you are
a milonguero.

<<We don't know  No other
country uses "vos", for example.>>

Wrong again. It is used in Uruguay, Southern Paraguay, Peru, Guatemala,
Panama and some parts of Colombia and Costa Rica.

<<Are there Colombians, Venezuelans, etc, on the list that can verify for
El Mundo?>>

Yours truly from Uruguay and many others not near the keyboard at the
moment.

<<He did say social, not  milonguero.>>

No. He said he teaches "milonguero style".

<<And trust me, they use the term milonguero to describe a way of dancing
in Buenos Aires.  I danced a song with a singer and dancer/teacher who
was the daughter of a famous milonguero, and she told me I "dance as a
milonguero".  And Marta Fama, one of the best dancers in Buenos Aires
teaches "Milonguero Style".>>

I  trust you. You are missing my point.

<<Umm, I'm here in Buenos Aires now.  I respect the few good open
embrace dancers around, but in the last month I have seen exactly
3 Portenos dancing open; one's more of a well known character in
the milongas here, and not considered a real dancer at all, and the
other 2 were miserably bad, by any definition.>>

You are confussing Close embrace Salon with the so called " Milonguero"

<<With all due respect to the nice people at Villa Malcolm and all, the
overwhelming majority of dancers here dance in close embrace or so close as
to make no difference at all in technique.   If the old farts
around here are the leftovers of the Golden Age, then where are all the open
embrace people?>>

There are no Close embrace people or open embrace people. There are Tango
people who dance authentic Salon Style Tango, close or distant according to
the circumstances, and are constantly transitioning between one embrace and
the other, as Sergio explained several times. That does not mean they are
changing "style", as the promoters of  the so called "milonguero" style
would like you to believe.

<<I know 2 people who studied from Pepito for years (including one who has
almost all his steps from him).  In most social situations, they dance
close.>>

As did Pepito. Salon close, not "milonguero"

<<In Buenos Aires, they dance close embrace in the milongas, just like
everyone else.  They wouldn't dream of arrogating the space for anything
else.>>

Yes. Salon close, not "milonguero"

<<Theres a difference.  In the milongas, it's social dancing, and in 99%  of
all cases I've seen, social means close. >>
Yes. Salon close. Not "milonguero".

<<Also, I've seen hours of Julio Balmaceda video, and he is pretty much a
close embrace all the time guy.>>

Yes. Salon close. Not "milonguero ". And  not all the time, depending on
floor conditions.

<<There are no Nuevo milongas here.  They have some practicas to go to.>>

That is what I heard about Salon as well, from people who I know cannot tell
one style from the others.

<<And milonguero style dates back to the D'Arienzo revival of tango in
1935.>>

No. It was created in the 60's, for reasons and excuses explained dozens of
times before.

 <<Never heard that said about enrosques; sacadas are a staple item in
Buenos Aires.  My teacher here in Buenos Aires is teaching me giros with
sacadas and something so similar to the enrosque it might as well be an
enrosque, and he's a milonguero.>>

Good for you.You are in good hands.