[Tango-L] Social dancers

Chris, UK tl2 at chrisjj.com
Thu Jul 13 18:35:00 EDT 2006

Jake a.k.a. "TangoDC.com" <spatz at tangoDC.com> wrote:

> I'd even say that sometimes classes, practice, and study Are the tango
> in its ideal form: milongas, with their annoying focus on personal
> pleasure, can sometimes seem inferior to them.

If those of that opinion stayed in their classrooms, they'd surely make
both themselves and everyone at the milongas quite a bit happier.

> Pleasing an audience in any performance medium is an act of generosity,
> and it's quite inseparable from pleasing one's partner

I guess then that social tango is not a performance medium. Serving
audience and partner in tango are separable and indeed separated by the
fact one is done by sight not touch, and the other by touch not sight.

> So is the silly idea that pleasing a crowd, or a single bystander, is
> egotistical. It is, rather, the annihilation of ego, the subordination
> of self to an external Purpose, known, often, as entertainment

... and more often still as exhibitionism.

Chris