[Tango-L] Social Tango, pre 1994

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Thu Jul 13 17:36:13 EDT 2006

I stand corrected. Let's say the nuevo pregancy was coming to term by
1995. The usual dates referenced are simply "the 1990s".

In 1995, the nuevo concepts were still being developed as Gustavo,
Fabian and a few others were practicing and still developing their
analysis. My initial tango instruction in 1995-96 was  inspired by
the turns of Mingo Pugliese and the ideas of Gustavo. Specifically, I
was taught Tango as an improvised walk, rather than a choreography.
Also, I have a cameo role in Daniel Trenner's five-tape series of
Gustavo Naveira's Advanced Workshop. I'm the guy leading Gustavo.

This sense of improvisation in the walk and the turn was in contrast
to the other main teaching methodology of the time, namely the 8CB w/
DBS, which was a bit more based in choreographies and variations.

Certainly the mid-90s were very creative period for the "FaGuChi"
crowd. They deserve credit for systematizing a lot of tango concepts,
(most of which already existed) including: of parallel & crossed
systems, alterations (changes of direction), ocho-cortado (?), and
others

Here is an interview with Fabian Salas about the earlier days.

http://www.totango.net/salas2.html
http://www.totango.net/salas.html