[Tango-L] Social Tango: A Cultural Perspective

Marisa Holmes mariholmes at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 13 12:01:33 EDT 2006

--- Tom Stermitz <stermitz at tango.org> wrote:

> At some races they may even offer a bottle of
> champagne at the end of the race for the jockey who
>  crosses the finish line first.

Yup.  I suppose it would be funny, except that there's
nothing especially amusing about folks who dance in a
way that expresses their feeling for the music
perfectly, but which keeps other who do not have the
exact same feeling from  expressing theirs.  I've said
it before, and I'll say it again: the person who
interprets all music as requiring little tiny steps
and nearly closed eyes is not listening to the music.
The person who creeps even when the floor is open and
a vals is playing is not giving themself or their
partner a chance to experience different types of
music in different ways.  And the person who insists
on blocking the ronda because they believe in their
heart of hearts that everyone else should dance they
way they do has been brainwashed.

It is sufficient to despise those who dance
differently from you - it is not necessary to
interfere with them.

Marisa