[Tango-L] Social Tango: A Cultural Perspective

Marisa Holmes mariholmes at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 13 10:39:23 EDT 2006

--- Sean wrote:

> ...My proposed solution is to teach only
> close embrace to beginning dancers. When they have
> developed sufficient balance, courtesy, common
> sense, and maybe even the ability to take an
> occasional large step...

Could you please teach them at the same time to avoid
blocking the ronda?  The remark someone just made
about self-absorbed dancers (of whatever persuasion)
is right on target.  The sooner you can get the
leaders interested in the flow of the ronda, the
better - even if it means the occasional brief loss of
concentration on their partners, their own emotions,
or their own feet.  On a smallish floor where there is
not much room to maneuver, one determined-to-creep
dancer can choke the entire ronda if he insists on
walking right along the "white line" of what would be
two lanes of dancers.  Two of them can stop it dead.
It doesn't contradict this observation to say that you
can always get around a creeper, if getting around him
means you have to swing out into the center of the
floor, which is reasonably occupied by those who want
to stand still while their partners' heels fly through
the air.

I beg you - if you want to crawl in the same way to
all music, have some regard for those of us who want
to move along when the music is moving.

Marisa