[Tango-L] Social Tango: A Cultural Perspective

TangoDC.com spatz at tangoDC.com
Wed Jul 12 18:52:16 EDT 2006

Looks like it's time for my "spitting cobra" routine again.

Short version:

Ron, your "theory" of tango rather conveniently suits your opinion, like
the a priori argument that it is. You start with the premise that the
tango is an Argentine social dance, and reason your way to that
conclusion, sidelining potent international influences and "non-salon"
developments categorically. One might ask where El Cachafaz and
Petroleo, along with scores of other "battling" milongueros, fit into
your overgeneralized history. Tango nuevo is perfectly in line with any
history of the dance that includes Them.

And where did this naive idea arise, about social dances not having
audiences? Aren't dancers continually checking each other out?

Your nod to "other" styles is peremptory, at best. "They belong on the
stage." Meanwhile, here in reality, I've already made the point that the
tango has always enjoyed a multiplicity of styles-- social styles.
Sergio even backed me up on it, and he was the one I was picking a bone
with. Now, the main difference between Buenos Aires and America, as far
as stylistic plurality goes, is that in BA, if eyewitness reports are to
be believed, style varies by barrio and by venue. Here, where
alternative music is often in the mix someplace, and where honest-to-god
Stage music is often played at conservative milongas (such as the few
I've attended in Miami), style usually varies _by tanda_. This is the
result of two different aesthetics, one local (BA) and the other
occasional (US). Americans, young or old, have not shown me they're
squeamish about torso contact. They _have_ shown me they're intensely
curious about the different faces of the dance.

They have also shown me that, when they become attached to one
particular style (to the exclusion of everything else), they become
bigoted about it, make a big stink about "authenticity," and start
flying the Argentine flag to mask the paucity of their proof.

As for your points, Tom-- I'm saying that (certain) social dancers cause
problems on the floor _for each other_ too. If I dance fast and open, I
can dodge them much more easily. The majority of those who dance open,
from what I have seen with my own eyes, are not actually hazardous on
the floor, despite the fact that less experienced dancers are, from time
to time, afraid of their speed. There _are_ trick-dancers who cause
trouble, but they are quite easily corralled by conscientious leaders,
and adapt to the context without much complaint. The problematic
"closeys," however, are nearly impossible to deal with. If I and two
other attentive leaders cluster around them, backs facing, to close off
their space a bit, we just get clocked.

Furthermore, I've got videos of older couples doing trick-heavy dancing,
much of it (to my eye) improv. The idea that only young people with good
joints are interested in tango nuevo, or more "visually" satisfying
stuff, is nonsense. It appeals to people with a sense of adventure and a
sense of fun, and what country issued their passport is wholly irrelevant.

And if you want to bring up community outreach, then tell me what you
think would happen if you began recruiting inner-city (i.e., black) high
schoolers who've grown up dancing to hip-hop. THAT would be something to
see. I dabbled with it in Baltimore, and I'm sorry to say I haven't been
able to follow up. But what have you done? Recruited more of your own
demographic?

As for context... Yes, I agree with your stated principle
wholeheartedly, and that's why I dance more than one style. Those who
confine themselves to one style (and no one has to, regardless of body
type: it's a choice), I hasten to inform you, are _ignoring_ context. If
you dance the same way to Tanturi as you do to D'Arienzo, and you're
beyond your first year of milonga attendance, you're not pushing
yourself hard enough to develop as a dancer, "performer" or not.

Period.

Jake Spatz
Washington, DC