[Tango-L] Social dancers

TangoDC.com spatz at tangoDC.com
Wed Jul 12 15:59:10 EDT 2006

Ahem,

I'm really getting tired of hearing this idolatry of the social dance.
Those of you who prefer it vocally, and argue for its merits here, keep
blaming the hotshots, the performers, the nuevo dancers for making
things hectic on the floor, and you continue to exalt the private
meditation or 3-minute tryst over the (supposed) vulgarities of public
display. But it's a false dichotomy, and is really skewing the
perspective unduly in favor of "social dancing."

Crowd conditions aside, I've seen more floorcraft problems caused by
close-embrace "social" dancers than by anyone else, including beginners.
The show-offs may dance twice as quickly, and with ten times the
vocabulary, but they rarely crash or cause others any actual grief on
the floor. Rather, it's the social dancers, who move more slowly (which
is fine per se), that clog up the lanes, move against traffic, tailgate
unnecessarily, and fail to adapt their embrace (leader's left arm
especially) to the conditions of the moment. I can't count the number of
times I've been clotheslined by some "social dancer" schmuck who refused
to reel that sucker in on a crowded floor-- and I'm talking about
moments when I dance close & small, with my left arm behind my back and
my partner's right hand on my shoulder, to create more room for others.
There I am, the nuevo guy doing his part for the team, and here comes
some moron with his flying fist-- during a  p a u s e  in the music.

Hotshot performers _look_ intimidating, but on a night of imperfect
floorcraft (which is 95% of nights), you're far safer next to them than
you are in the general mix.

This is the case in DC, at both weekly dances and the area festivals; I
imagine it's not too different elsewhere, provided there is even room to
do an ocho cortado.

Furthermore, the "stage" (which I interpret to mean: show performances
as well as festival performances) is NOT reserved for hotshot dancers
only. I've seen many a "salon" performance as well. It's really quite
pointless to imagine that these boundaries aren't porous.

As a dancer who likes delighting the onlooker, and one who dances many
styles, including nuevo (when the floor and the music are right for it),
I'm going to stick up for hotshots. We attract new people to the dance;
we give passersby something to truly enjoy; we give rising talents
something artful to admire and emulate. We thrill our partners, and
leave them brushing a little improv stardust out of their hair. We make
the dance Dance. AND we put up with all these bullshit accusations,
coming from "social dancers" who are only out to please themselves with
their myopic little pseudo-love affairs on the pista, and who are too
self-absorbed to avoid getting in each other's way.

Now, I know male social dancers who can dance with shut eyes and not hit
anyone. Plenty exist, and they're a pleasure to have on the floor. But
the bad floorcraft at milongas isn't coming from their supposed
"opposites"-- the nuevo kids; rather, it comes from Bad Dancers, most of
whom, if I dare speak the truth, belong to the "social dance only" category.

Why is this the case? Welcome to the interesting part...

Social dancers _deliberately_ restrict themselves to a small vocabulary
of moves, under the aegis of refinement and simplicity. This is often a
noble-sounding excuse for the absence of skill, but that's no matter.
What Does matter is that they can't navigate as effectively or as
flexibly-- because they've cut themselves off from the wider variety of
movements.

Moreover, in the attempt to cast a profound spell on themselves and
their partner, they ignore much of what's around them. I mean other
dancers. And I mean other dancers sitting at tables as well as
non-dancers passing by for a look-see.

Like Dani, I had performing experience prior to my tango kidnapping.
None of it was in dance. Pleasing an audience in any performance medium
is an act of generosity, and it's quite inseparable from pleasing one's
partner, as I imagine EVERY tango performer (except those bizarre
choreography robot-people) knows full well. The notion that you can only
please one or the other-- like the related opinion that you must put one
of them first-- is plumb wrong, and spoken in ignorance.

So is the silly idea that pleasing a crowd, or a single bystander, is
egotistical. It is, rather, the annihilation of ego, the subordination
of self to an external Purpose, known, often, as entertainment, and,
occasionally, as art.

Jake Spatz
Washington, DC