[Tango-L] nakedness

Chas Gale hotchango at msn.com
Tue Jul 11 19:44:38 EDT 2006

perhaps we should add nudity to the list of things we should not discuss
among "friends" with religion and politics. instead, tell me how or if the
photo in question relates to tango. i suspect ms. godoy would say it
doesn't, necessarily. interestingly, the only 2 of us who have ventured a
guess are argentine. argentines seem less hung up about the human form. at
least the female human form. there is a marquee on a corrientes theater
featuring 50 foot women wearing heels and strategically placed jewelry next
to men in tuxedos. i feared every time i walked past that i would wonder
into the street, or step in a steaming pile of dog shit. otoh, a few years
ago, an argentine woman you all know and respect began a workshop with "IT'S
NOT ABOUT SEX!". someone whispered "i must be in the wrong class."

if the human form is beautiful in all it's forms then surely the playboy
cover is beautiful, right? otoh, there are more than a few who equate nudity
with things sexual and therefore "bad". which brings me to my real question.

a few months ago i got this post from one of our local tango dancers:

""""""Dear Chas and Gaia,
While the tango house shoe page photos are impressive, the essence is
appalling.
This is not what tango is all about. I am disappointed and disgusted by what
you are representing here, but I am not surprised. """"""

so, my question is this: what is tango "all about", and do the pics on our
shoe page, or the playboy cover, or any other of the thousands of
provocative photos intending to depict tango represent tango in any way?

to see our shoe photos click "Shoes" at http://www.thetangohouse.com/

Chas "waiting for the wisdom of tango-l" Gale